Thursday, February 9, 2012

Making Biscotti

Biscotti is/are always available for our guests here at Mountain Thyme.  We have tried many recipes from Chocolate-Pistachio to Apricot-Almond but have settled on this recipe as a favorite. It is easy to make and you can always have the ingredients on hand.

 
TOFFEE BISCOTTI                                          
3 cups flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1-pkg HEATH Milk Chocolate Toffee bits
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup vegetable oil

Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. In a smaller bowl, (or large measuring cup) , hand whip eggs until blended, then stir in oil and vanilla.  Pour into dry mix and stir until blended. Don't overwork it!

Making  biscotti used to intimidate me until I did it a few times under my mom’s supervision. This recipe is very easy and straightforward but it helps to have a “feel” for how crumbly the dough can be. It needs to be just moist enough to stick together when pressed.

The oilier it is, the more it will flatten out during the first baking. Every time I make this, it comes out a little differently, (too dry or too moist).  I have gotten in the habit of leaving a little bit of oil in one bowl and flour in another so I can make adjustments once I start mounding the loaves.

Divide the dough into thirds and form logs on you baking sheet lined with parchment. (I am using the reuseable kind in this photo)


First baking is for 20 minutes in a 350 oven.  They should be browned and cracked on top.

The real trick is you DO NOT touch the first baked loaves for at least TWO HOURS after they come out of the oven!  Do not move them to a cooling rack. Do not shift them around on the cookie sheet. Do not touch them.  Just walk away and ignore them until they are completely cool. (Step away from the loaves!) If you don't allow them to cool long enough, all those little cracks will crumble in your hands and you will have...ice cream crumble topping!

 
At this point, I cut the loaves in half and freeze all but one half, which I cut into diagonal slices and bake for another 10 minutes at 350. Note: those little bits on the ends are too unsightly for company so you will be required to eat those! 

I cut these on a slight diagonal for smaller pieces.  The greater the angle, the longer the piece will be. When given as gifts, I cut them long, stand them up in a cello bag and tie with a festive ribbon.

Whenever I need more biscotti, I set half a loaf out of the freezer for 15 minutes, slice and bake. The cooked biscotti  stores well so there is no reason not to bake it all at once. I just do it so the smell of fresh baking fills the house more often.

 

11 comments:

  1. These sound YUMMY! I'm not a coffee drinker, but may have to take it up to have a dunking drink! I'm sure I would love the apricot/almond version, too. I'm about to make scones of that ilk. It touches me that you are all about serving others...you keep eating those ugly ends! thanks for the great recipe and photos! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't hot chocolate work just as well?

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im making these today- In the oven now! Thanks for the pictures- I tried to make my loaves look just like yours. Wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It turned out really good! It was not as crunchy as I thought it would be, so I may need to adjust to time and cook a little longer...It is delicious though. It will definitely be made again when I have company to impress. :)

      Delete
    2. This recipe won't produce the real crunchy biscotti you buy in the store. But, after the second baking, it should be more like a cracker than a cookie.

      Delete
  5. That's what I thought...SO, I will adjust my baking time a little. While mine taste just like they should (very good), they are more like a hard cookie...not a cracker. My next batch will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.
    Love it, Love it !!

    Angel Leadingham

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know. I don't know why I was so intimidated by this. It really is easy once you get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you get that cute biscotti jar?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone gave it to me years ago filled with store-bought biscotti. I have no idea where it came from. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete