Monday, March 5, 2012

Ice Cube Trays Revisited




Over the years I have collected quite a few things to do with my old ice cube trays.  Now, I wouldn't know what to do without them.

It started when Mom showed me how to freeze homemade pesto in individual servings and store them in zip lock bags.  Now I look for all kinds of things that will come in handy in small portions.

Here is a list of ideas:

~ Make ice cubes from leftover coffee. They are great for cooling down iced coffee without watering down your drink.  I go ahead and add cream and sweetner before freezing for the perfect summertime cooler.

~ Any beverage like tea, cola or lemonade that is left over or going flat can be frozen to add to the same drink next time. And, you can plan ahead and freeze slices of citrus and/or flowers in cubes to decorate iced drinks.  Or freeze big portions in butter tubs for pitchers or bundt pans for punch bowls.

~ Didn't use up all of that store bought chicken broth for a recipe?  Freeze the remainder and add a few cubes to water when steaming vegetables or cooking rice. [Note - I save and freeze all my vegetable scraps in a gallon size ziplock bag.  When the bag is full, I cook it down in water to make vegetable broth.  I save large amounts for soups in plastic butter tubs but also freeze small amounts for above use.]

~ Egg whites freeze well and ice cube trays are perfect for portions. I have some great recipes for meringue cookies so start saving those whites!

~ I never use all the fresh herbs I buy (mostly cilantro as we grow most everything else).  Snip it up and put in cubes, cover with water, freeze and store in zip lock bags.  These are great for adding to pinto beans, soups, or recipes not requiring the fresh greenery.

~ Buerre Manie, or "kneaded butter" is a paste made from equal parts of flour and soft butter and is used to finish off soups and sauces.  Make up a big batch and freeze by the tablespoon.


And while we are talking about freezing, here are more hints:

* Fresh ginger freezes well. Just peel and seal in a small bag.  Set out for a few minutes before grating.

* Freeze grapes for a perfect summertime snack.  Just clean, dry and remove from stems. It helps to have these on hand when I am craving ice cream.

* Cookie dough can be made in large batches, rolled in balls, frozen on cookie tray and stored in bag. Unfortunately, frozen cookie dough in ball form is way too easy to sneak!

* Buy in bulk and freeze portions.  We do this for hambuger meat and canned pineapple (for our Scalloped Pineapple recipe).  The trick is to flatten out the gallon bag as flat as you can get it.  Not only does it store easier in the freezer but it takes no time at all to thaw.

* I buy pork loin when it is on sale and cut it three different ways to freeze: I slice thin pieces to pound out for schnitzel, thicker pieces for stuffed pork chops and one end stays whole as pork loin.

* Save those wrappers from sticks of butter and use them to grease baking dishes.

My advice - before throwing out any food, consider if it would be good added to a soup, a drink, a recipe down the line. If so FREEZE IT!

And one of my favorite ideas came from my long time friend, Margie.  When we were in elementary school, she gave me a birthday present of a jar full of frozen pennies so I would always have some "cold hard cash." Cute idea.

I bet you have some ideas I don't know...post and share with us all!

2 comments:

  1. Love your ideas Rhonda. I learned a few new ones that I look forward to trying out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete