Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Displaying Antique Buttons



I love garage and estate sales.  About half of the inn was furnished from my finds over a five year period when we were working towards opening this place.  The buttons above were mixed in with a big bag of "sewing bits and pieces" I picked up in a beautiful old home close to University Park in Dallas.  When I got the bag home and discovered them in the bottom, I was in love.  They probably aren't worth much to a collector as there are tears and stains on the cards, but I like the vintage feel of the art work.

The buttons sat around in a box of fun things I might use if I could ever think of a way when a Martha Stewart catalogue (circa 1998) showed up with a product I had used as a child in my butterfly collecting days that I had completely forgotten about - bug specimen boxes.  Perfect!


They are cardboard frames wrapped in white paper with a protective glass cover.  There are two pins pushed through the sides to hold them together and the glass presses gently against the cotton pad on the inside to hold the specimen in place.  In this case, my specimen was a button card. Just center the card on the cotton, close up the box and hang (they come with little metal hooks.)


These boxes would be ideal for any light weight objects that wouldn't slide to the bottom.  Also the paper covering could be painted and the cotton inside could be covered with fabric.  They are a quick and inexpensive alternative to picture frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment