Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Utillizing Fine Linens as Decor



I have acquired myriad hand embroidered linens over the years, some from family and friends and some from estate sales in anticipation of opening the B&B. Many come out for special occasions like Christmas and Valentines.  Others were not utilized  because there was just one (or a few) or the handwork was too precious to use.

One of my favorites is this beautiful tablecloth with these perfect roses and buds.  It was given to us by a guest and was sewn by a great-great somebody back when this kind of embroidery was more common place. I wanted people to see it but not be tempted to put coffee cups or wine glasses on it.  Solution?  Hang it on the wall.




Other pieces that are a little sturdier have made it onto table surfaces in the rooms.  I love these sweet little cocktail napkins that are the perfect accent for the pink & blue in Mimi's Room.
 
 


My grandmother's handkerchief sits underneath her picture and rouge box in Nana's Room.


Made for my mother's 65th surprise party, this tablecloth is the perfect accent for the blue & yellow colors in Hattie.


This "Pineapple" tablecloth, crocheted by my grandmother, hangs over the bed in Janie Lee's room.



I have other pieces that were framed (and difficult to photograph). If you haven't heard the story, the embroidery of the lady on the wall in Nana's Room was originally an apron. It was stitched by a friend that was coming to America after WWII to marry an airman she met in Australia.  She worked on it the whole time she was sailing here and presented it to her future mother-in-law on arrival to the states. Fortunately, the mother-in-law took one look at it and proclaimed it too beautiful to use and promptly had it framed.


I hope this post inspires you to bring out those treasures and enjoy them.  They like being admired and enjoy the light of day!

3 comments:

  1. Love these displays! Next time we come visit, maybe I'll bring some of my stash of embroidered linens so we can look at them together and appreciate the hours of time and effort that went into creating them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI... Nice post. This is a really good read for me, Really this is one of the awesome information about linens placemats. Thanks for posting this informative article.

    ReplyDelete